ROCO is LIVE Certified Sustainable Wine
Responsible, sustainable vineyard and winery practices.
LIVE (Low Input Viticulture & Enology) is a non profit organization providing education and certification for vineyards using international standards of sustainable viticulture practices in wine grape production. These practices are based on a score system consisting of basic required practices, prohibited practices and numerous ecological options.
ROCO Winery is proud to be one of the growing number of LIVE Certified Sustainable wineries in Oregon. LIVE represents a civic and ecological responsibility very close to our hearts. The benefits of sustainability are clear - the practices are gentle on the earth, and we believe they result in brighter, more flavorful wine that better reflect the characteristics of the land from which they are grown.
LIVE program objectives for a sustainable viticulture:
- To see the vineyard as a whole system
- To create and maintain a high level quality fruit production
- To implement practices that reduce reliance on synthetic chemicals and fertilizers with the goal of protecting the farmer, the environment, and communities at large
- To encourage responsible stewardship of the land, maintain natural fertility and ecosystem stability
- To promote sustainable farming practices that maintain biological diversity in the whole farm